SHOW DATES: Exhibition will run July 3rd through August 31st
DEADLINE: Entries must be received on or before Thursday June 27th by 5:00 pm. No exceptions. You may bring entries in any time between Tuesday, June 11th, until Thursday, June 27th.
RECEPTION: A reception will be held from 5:00 to 8:00pm on Saturday, July 6th.
ELIGIBILITY: Open to all artists, works must be solely painted en plein air in Northern California. Geographically located as far north as the Oregon border to as far south as Lake Tahoe, Williams, Clear Lake, and Elk on the California Coast. Works must consist of a majority of medium in either oil, pastel or watercolor. Other dominant mediums do not qualify for this juried exhibition.
ENTRY FEES: $10.00 per entry for Highland Art Center Members, non-refundable. And $18.00 per entry for non-members, non-refundable.
LIMIT: No more than three (3) entries per category will be accepted.
JURYING: Jurying will take place at the Highland Art Center. The gallery will be closed until the juror has concluded the process. This year’s Juror will be Willo Balfrey, an accomplished plein air painter in pastel and oil. a painting instructor and multi award winner. Balfrey is a signature member of the Pastel Society of America, Northwest Pastel Society, Sierra Pastel Society, and Pastels Society of Oregon.
CRITIQUE: A critique by the juror will take place at the Highland Art Center at 4:00 on July 6th. The critique may last 45 mins or longer, the length of time will be up to the discretion of the juror. The Opening Reception will follow, taking part of the monthly Weaverville Art Cruise, from 5-8pm.
SALES: The Highland Art Center retains a 30% commission on all sales. Entries that are not for sale must be marked NFS on the entry form. Only one NFS per person is allowed.
CATEGORIES: Three total, limited to the most common media for outdoor painting:
NOTE: The juror reserves the right to move work, which is in his/her expert opinion, not entered in the appropriate category. The final selection of work to be juried & displayed rests solely with the juror. Some of the work accepted by the juror may not be included if there isn’t enough space available.
1. All work must be original plein air, painted outdoors on site.
2. No copies of other artist’s work and no reproductions.
3. Work must not have previously been exhibited at the Highland Art Center.
4. All work must be framed and ready for display. Wall-hanging items must have the appropriate wire and hardware (no saw tooth hangers). Free-standing items must be able to stand on their own. All items must be in excellent condition upon submission or they will not be accepted.
5. Awards are made at the juror’s discretion.
6. All accepted work must remain on the premises for the entire show. Work must be retrieved between September 1st - September 3rd 2019 after the close of the show. Please contact the Highland Art Center at (530)623-5111 if special pick up circumstances are needed.
7. Work not accepted may be picked up after the critique.
8. All reasonable care will be taken with work submitted, however, the Highland is not responsible for loss, damage, or theft of work entered, whether accepted or not. Please let the Highland staff know if the work is potentially wet at time of entry. The Highland staff takes no responsibility in the handling of wet paintings.
BEST OF SHOW $250.00
AWARD OF EXCELLENCE (ea. Category) $75.00
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT (ea. Category) $45.00
HONORABLE MENTION (ea. Category) Non-cash awards